Nico’s Epistle

Paul Reed Smith

Hello, old friend.

It’s good to see you again,

I’ve missed your dulcet tones

and your dark curves.

In times of sadness, you sang to me.

I have plucked your heart

strings and your ebony figure

resonates in a voluptuous harmony.

Your neck is reminiscent

of a smooth, silky velvet

that slips through my fingertips,

as I caress your body.

It’s been too long

since I’ve conducted your beautiful symphony,

my instrument, my friend.

7 Responses to “Nico’s Epistle”

1. Sam says:

Nico – I really enjoyed your poem and I especially liked how you concluded by saying “my instrument, my friend” because I think it tied up any loose strings there may have been. One suggestion may be to reconsider some of the punctuation, such as in the second stanza; I think you could use a comma after the word “strings” in the third line. Other than that, awesome job!

2. Lisa says:

This is awesome, how you personalized an object by the words and the title, because it is what makes you who are and shared your life. My favorite poem yet from you.I just wished you wrote 2 more stanzas.

3. mlestsan says:

I really enjoyed this as a comparison between a lover and an instrument, and how the intimacy of it is revealed. Not knowing much about guitars, I felt you can elaborate on the strings on the neck of the guitar, because I wasn’t quite sure at first if it was a violin or a guitar (although the title does make it more obvious for those in the know). I think that you could change the comma in the second line “It’s good to see you again,” to a period. I also felt “In times of sadness, you sang to me” was a bit cliche.

4. cwillia5 says:

Nico- great poem and really nice word choice! I like the use of personification and I agree with Lisa in that i wish it went on longer!

5. Turner says:

I really like this description of the relationship between the player and the instrument. The line breaks were really good, especially between the 6th and 7th lines. I like that the instrument itself is a mystery (other than the fact that it has strings) because that’s not important the relationship is the emphasis. Good poem.

6. asanixay says:

I find this poem interesting because of the conflicting views I have on it. I cannot tell whether the poem is addressing a person (a woman) or an inanimate object. The last line convinces me that the narrator is talking to an instrument. If the narrator is addressing an inanimate object, it makes it more interesting because you are able to talk to an object as if it were a person. Great Job.

7. jm892 says:

I love this! I love how you compare the curves of a body to the curves of an instrument,they are good complements. Even with little description, there is a lot of imagery in this poem too, which makes it even more enojoyable. My favorite line is the second to last one of the whole poem, it truly struck me.